Saturday, June 13, 2009

An Etsy Day

I've been in kind of a funk today. I'm sure it has nothing to do with teaching 16 kids ages 4-6 for 2 1/2 hours Sunday through Thursday, then starting my real job on Thursday morning and working by myself all day Friday.

I overslept today. I woke up at 10:30. That's how I knew my day was shot. I NEVER sleep past 8:30. I've been to parties and gotten back at 4:30 in the morning and I still wake up at 7:00. It's just my nature. I also didn't put in my contacts when I woke up. "Glasses days" are hardly ever good days.

However, my ill mood was lifted around noon when I realized that moping wasn't going to solve anything. So this afternoon, my younger sister and I figured out the guest list and mailed out invitations for her "wild" 12th birthday! It's a jungle-theme, so we bought two sets of invitations: one pink set with leopard edges and zebra in the center and a blue set with blue zebra stripes on the flap and a purple stripe on the overlap. They are too cute. I'm making three skirts for the occasion, too. I'm making my sister and her best friend matching zebra skirts-- Grace's will have yellow fabric underneath and sewn with yellow thread and her friend's, Alex, will have pink fabric and pink thread. My skirt (I love sewing for myself. I get so tired of wearing the same thing as everyone else.) is made from a canvas-like material (but thinner). It's a natural, unbleached color with an eggplant trim and a zebra, a deer, and a bird looking around trees near the bottom. I love it.

That was a huge aside, and after the "invitations" talk, has nothing to do with this post. Since I wasn't really in a social mood, I spent a lot of time online. And since it's Saturday, NO ONE updates their blogs, (How selfish of them!) so I spent most of the day on Etsy.

I had to buy my sister (same one) a present. I plan on making her some things, but she loves ducks. I get that. When I was 12, my friends and I went through this weird "We love monkeys/frogs/ducks" phase. I thought I had seen a tutorial online about how to sew a stuffed rooster. My plan was to take that basic principal, then add felt feet and a bill. I couldn't find it, though. Which led me to Plan B- Etsy, of course.

I was surprised that even Etsy let me down a little bit. I searched for "duck" and "stuffed duck" (I felt a little weird typing that) and "plush duck." I was shown a lot of amigurimi ducks, but only a few sewn ducks. I found one that I liked, so I got it, even though it was a bit pricey.

After I found that, I decided to kill some time. With parties on the brain, I started to think about my own party in a few months. Even though it's in September, I've had the theme picked out since I was 16: when I turn twenty, my theme will be "The Roarin' Twenties." (It just so happens to work out that my mom accidentally bought me a fringed skirt from Urban Outfitters for Christmas). I have everything already: the clothes, the headbands, the boas, and the music. But a basic Etsy search led me to flapperdoodle. I absolutely love her things. I especially love that her biography is pretty similar to mine. She's two years older than I am and loves old movies and replaced Britney Spears with Frank Sinatra years ago.

My FAVORITE:Other gorgeous prints





(All images owned by flapperdoodle. I'm just a fan)
I love that one of her character's names is "Ramona." A few weeks ago, my sister and I were talking about what we were going to name our future children and I said "If it's a girl, Olive and Ramona. If it's a boy, Luc, Landon, or Macon."
This whole post was just a long way of saying, I love the 20's, Etsy, and my family. And even summer, but just a bit!
Love

No comments:

Post a Comment